- This event has passed.
UCL Renal Dialysis Course 2020 – Cancelled
17/06/20 - 19/06/20
The management of end-stage renal failure by dialysis forms a central component of all renal units. However, it is often the least intensively taught component of nephrology training. This course is a thorough introduction to dialysis, from basics to new developments. Our expert faculty will provide comprehensive coverage of all aspects of dialysis and end stage renal failure through a mixture of lectures and workshops.
Who this course is for
This course is aimed at specialist registrars in renal medicine but it’s also relevant to healthcare professionals involved in the management of patients with chronic renal failure.
The topics covered on each day are as follows:
Medical management of the patient with advanced chronic kidney disease (CKD)
- Cardiovascular disease
- Mineral bone disorder
- Dialysis initiation
- Principles of dialysis
Principles of haemodialysis and vascular accessDialysis 2020 Course Flyer
- Medical aspects of vascular access
- Surgical aspects of vascular access
- Sarcopenia and frailty in dialysis patients
- Mini debate: HDF is an already outdated technology
- History of dialysis
Practical aspects of haemodialysis and related therapies
- Technical aspects of dialysis
- Dialysis adequacy
- Volume management in dialysis patients
- Challenging dialysis scenarios
- Interactive sessions (topics TBC)
- Renal replacement therapy in acute kidney injury (AKI)
- Mini debate: We need better technology to advance the uptake of home haemodialysis
Peritoneal dialysis (PD)
- Basics of PD
- Access in PD
- Can patients be maintained on PD in the longer term?
- Peritonitis in PD
- Surgery in encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis (EPS)
- Dialysis in the elderly
Quality and improvement of dialysis
- Developing a dialysis service in 2020
- Mini debate: The best way to judge the quality of dialysis is to ask the patient
Teaching and structure
You can attend one, two or three days.
The course involves a combination of lectures, interactive sessions and lunchtime workshops/lectures.
Certificates and accreditation
CPD credit to be confirmed by the Royal College of Physicians (RCP) UK. Previous courses have been awarded 20 category 1 (external) CPD credits.
The course will help you:
- acquire a practical understanding of dialysis therapy and management of patients with end-stage renal failure
- review basic theory through to the latest clinical developments
- identify the clinical and technical skills required for the management of patients on a modern dialysis programme
Please find details, course fees and link to online booking/payment here.