The BAPN is committed to both high quality basic science and translational research, and multi-centre clinical trials across all areas of quantitative and qualitative research.We area great body of mutually supportive clinicians and researchers who are keen to get paediatric nephrology research going.
Multi-centre paediatric nephrology studies
Studies – actively recruiting new patients from your centre
- PREDNOS 2 – Secondary and Tertiary units. RCT for patients with frequently relapsing Nephrotic syndrome
- HOT-KIDS – Secondary and Tertiary units. RCT compare effects of aggressive versus standard targets in blood pressure on target organ damage in children with CKD
- SPEAK – Adult and Paediatric renal units. First national survey of young adults 16-30 years on RRT. Electronic self-completion survey.
- ECUSTEC – Tertiary Units activey recruiting children to examine the role of eculizimab in shiga-toxin producing E-Coli Haemolytic Uraemic syndrome. Led by Dr Sally Johnson of Newcastle.
- NIDUS study – examining a novel type of haemodialysis /haemofiltration machine for neonates. led by Dr Heather Lambert, Newcastle. Funded by NIHR/MRC EME Programme.
Studies – completed recruitment, awaiting results
- HDF, Hearts & Height Study – Dialysis units. Observational cohort study to compare HD vs HDF
- PREDnisolone in NephrOtic Syndrome – Secondary and Tertiary units. RCT long-term tapering versus standard prednisolone (steroid) therapy for the treatment of the initial episode of childhood nephrotic syndrome
Opportunities for research